Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Big E Hands Me the Key

The week started rough with a Monday morning run that left me in tears. I struggled every single step of those 10 miles, talking myself out of training. I decided I would be happy “taking it easy” for the rest of the year and giving up the 100 mile goal. I limped home, showered, napped and put the idea of running on the back shelf for 24 hours. After coaxing myself through a miserable run for the umpteenth time I decided on a cocktail prescription of rest, relaxation and finding the pleasure of putting one foot in front of the other. Speedwork has never been enjoyable for me. It did not fit in my new plan. I did, however, have to accompany Eric to the track on Tuesday evening, consciously slipping on some flip flops just as my brother texted that he would be joining us. I don’t get to run with my brothers very often, and I really appreciate the time with them so I grabbed my running shoes, just in case.. After a warm-up jog of 800 - we were hanging on the track chatting when Ben said - GO - and Eric put a friendly wager of beer down for the winner of the workout. That was a perfect pill for my running woes. I needed to make running a “game” in order to switch my mental focus. And while I lost 4 tasty brews that evening, I got my swagger back, sailing through the rest of the week with comfort, polishing it off with a solid 3.5 hour Sunday morning run. I am happy with this progress and thankful to my brother & Big River for helping me shake off the dust, unlock the mind and shift the focus from struggle and stress to fun, fun, fun…. I plan on keeping that in my rear-view mirror for these next two weeks to see where it takes me.

Miles run 63 + 3 hours of yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment