Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thinking About Goals

I didn’t post on Monday, but I did have another successful, albeit hot & steamy, running week. I am finally truly feeling fit - not fast, not loaded with endurance - but fit. My base is back baby! My runs are no longer fitful excursions of self doubt and frustration. They are moving back to peace. This weekend Conrad & I will be traveling to Indiana for a marathon, great research to see how much work needs to be done in order to catch the 100 mile goal I’m seeking. What is that goal? Well, there is a culture in 100 mile races surrounding the Belt Buckle. Finish your 100 mile jaunt in under a day - you get a shiny belt buckle for your effort. Sounds bizarre to anyone outside of this extreme endurance mindset - I realize - but I can’t wait to hold that piece of metal in my exhausted hands. I’d also very much like to finish in the top 3 overall. Having never run more than 50 miles, who knows if my body will support that goal. I will certainly be dedicating my mental and physical self to this pursuit in earnest for these next 11 weeks, and as the date draws closer, be able to flesh out the target. Until then I’m hoping to build on the base now established and work on the mental challenges of running without sleep.

Miles Run: 40ish (down with the stomach flu several days last week...)

No comments:

Post a Comment