Monday, May 16, 2011

This Week is My Week

The truth is I have been saying this for 6 weeks now. After a generally disappointing running week and a struggling Sunday long run I mope around and placate myself with the sentiment: Tomorrow you will start the week off right, run everyday, feel good, and truly progress. That has yet to materialize. I’ve had maybe 4 good runs in 2011, and while I do feel physically recovered from the surgery - I still am lacking in energy and drive. I am having lots of issues with my HRT, memory issues, sleep issues, hot flashes and exhaustion to name a few. Most days I wake up and feel as if I have a mild flu. And it’s one of the first times in my life I have not been able to MIND OVER MATTER the exhaustion. I’m certain it won’t last forever, but I am losing patience with the process and just want to feel “normal” once again. It’s like playing the lottery everyday that I slip my running shoes on - not knowing if I will make the run at all, much less without having to walk a portion of it. Last Tuesday was the first time in months I have given speed a try, and I did mildly better than I anticipated. I was able to maintain a 10K race pace of 6:40 a mile for 8 laps around the track. It did lift my spirits some but the struggle continues. Right now I’m in the weeds and can’t imagine running 100 miles in 3.5 months. I just have to trust that the years of miles on my legs and my stubborn spirit will start to come in handy as the weeks progress.

Miles run: 30(ish), 0 miles biking (waiting for clearance to ride a bike), 2 hours of yoga, 0 miles swimming - ahhh...

1 comment:

  1. The key is to love the challenge, love the work. Harness your own pure joyous passion to accomplish this 100 mile dream; as crazy as that dream my be.
    I love you my dear runner.

    ReplyDelete