Monday, June 28, 2010

The Mill

Yes! I finally feel like a runner again. It’s been hit and miss over these last few weeks, and this was the first solid 6 days of running I’ve had since…. can’t remember. The caveat in this confidence building episode - my new friend the treadmill. With temperatures everyday hitting the mid-90’s and stifling humidity - I’ve conceded the outside realm to the weather. They win. So I loaded up my I-pod, stuffed my gym bag and scurried off to SLU for a very successful training week. Tuesday was an easy base run anywhere from 4-8 miles depending on how I felt. I hopped on, started her up, and couldn’t believe how easy it felt. I could BREATHE, I wasn’t immediately soaked to the bone and my head - well it felt like it might just be making a major comeback from the migraine attack. I think on Tuesday I could have run 15-16 miles without effect, but I listened to my plan and scooted out after 7.5 when the music player lost all battery.

Wednesday was a speedwork day. Now - speedwork on a treadmill is easier for sure - it guides you. But this speedwork was still quite an unexpected breeze. After my run I told Conrad that it felt too easy, and I that I should really amp up my speed and shorten the recovery times for next week. This literally never happens to me on speed days. On the good ones, I come home tired and satisfied, on the tough ones I am exhausted, but never, ever do I feel like they are easy. I took this as a very good sign. Perhaps getting some new asthma medicine coupled with 3 breathing treatments really did the trick. The only disappointment for me this week was my lack of swimming. I’m nursing some chest soreness and can’t really get in the pool just yet. So I did add some mileage to Friday’s tempo run to make up for the cross training deficit and still felt great. The week ended with a 14 mile easy base run, with an extra 2 miles tacked on for good measure upping the total to 16.

This is a major breakthrough in the running life of me. I have always, always, always HATED the treadmill. It gets on my nerves, it’s boring and it’s at the gym - talk about sensory overload. It’s totally the opposite of what running is to me - peace, tranquility, time alone. Plus you can’t just walk out your door and go. There’s a whole process to it: the bag, the ID, the inevitable wait period while you glare at someone walking, reading a magazine, and talking on the phone while taking up the last treadmill. Ok, point taken - I hate it. So I was beyond surprised when I had no issues with former public enemy #1. What’s going on? Have I found a new friend? Or is it just the ease and comfort on the joints of the treadmill, mixed with the tunes and the A/C that have me feeling like I could tackle the marathon tomorrow? I’m not sure what this magic is - but I’m crossing my fingers that it continues into next week in the big D heat - where my new friend will not be making the trip, and it’s just the melting pavement under me.


Miles Run 50 +2 hours resistance/yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment