Monday, June 21, 2010

Just Not That Into You

All week I considered breaking up with running. My relationship with it just isn’t satisfying these days. Running isn’t sparking my interest at the moment. Partly it’s the heat, partly its the headache that comes along with this humidity, partly it’s just being plain tired. Thankfully this was my down week, lots of easy running and low key exercising. I ran twice on the treadmill and twice with Conrad, which was quite nice. I accompanied him on his track workout Tuesday night @ Wash U, and we had a lovely run through Tower Grove Park on Saturday evening. It’s nice to get outside of your own neighborhood and run some different routes every so often. But even with the change of scenery and the delightful company, I just had no umph in my step. I’m grumpy with my good friend running and just want it to go away for a little while so I can be lazy. I missed my easy long run on Sunday entirely. I just couldn’t get myself out the door.

From the age of 11 I’ve suffered from debilitating migraines - another genetic hiccup passed on from the Rice’s. Some years they’ve had me in the hospital, some years I can make it through with just a touch or two of the noggin. I’ve always fared poorly in humid conditions, and this summer is shaping up to be a doozy. I can’t swim when my head hurts this bad. Going underwater makes it feel like my eyes are going to explode. It’s no fun. And running takes a backseat as well. If my head isn’t pounding up a storm, I’m on a very strong vasco-constricting medicine, causing all my veins to tighten up considerably - making running and sucking in for oxygen a rough experience.

I find myself talking to my cranky self - telling me that it’s the headache, it’s the medicine, it’s the heat that are wearing me down and rubbing off that love of running. AND I’m hoping that’s all there is to it. If we can get a one day break in this weather pattern, and I can break the cycle of headache/meds, perhaps I will fall in love with my fitness partner all over again. So, I’m off for a nap to try and shake this headache that’s on its 7th day, and will wake up ready to tackle a hopefully heavy training week!

Miles run (a paltry) 30 +1 hour resistance/yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment