Monday, April 19, 2010

Quiet Time

Post marathon week is typically fraught with dichotomous feelings of elation and exhaustion - happiness at completing a task and depression over the task being finished after months of preparation. This marathon didn’t hold the same post-marathon blues for me. Partially because my training was incomplete, cut short and there were no plans to actually run the marathon - I was freed from the constrictions of time goals and nervous energy. I woke up Monday morning literally ready to run, but took the day off anyway. This week has been abnormally warm, sunny, and humid. We’ve been on average 25 degrees above normal - straight to July. So running in Forest Park took on a whole new color of intensity. I stepped out the door on Tuesday morning after 48 hours off my feet and had a very nice, easy 4 mile run with my partner a German Shorthair, Mady. Wednesday I could hardly wait to get out the door - another 4 miles, which was surprisingly intense as the temperatures tipped the scales @ 86 with 70% humidity. Even Mady wore out. Thursday I had the chance to run with Conrad - lovely chat, and it was good to see him feeling healthy and fit again. By weeks end I had 25 miles on my shiny new Brooks Green Silence and no idea how fast or slow my park running was. No music, no watches, mostly running partners and peace. On Saturday I got to watch my son break through an important milestone in his running career. It was really cool to greet him at the finish line and see the determination, the focus, and the realization that if he works for it - the sub 5 is within his sightline.

This week was not about times, splits, intervals. Time in the fresh air - thinking and breathing time. Technically my training for the Chicago marathon will begin on Monday the 26th. This is a long and slow and progressive training plan focused on whole body strength. I’ve always had 13 week plans - so I’m nervous to see if I can maintain the focus for such a long stretch. I’m doubling my Chicago marathon training as my JFK 50 mile training as the 50 miler is 6 weeks after Chicago. One more week of carefree running here I come.

Miles this week = 25

1 comment: